Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Inspiration

A few years ago, I was sitting in an OB-GYN waiting room waiting way too long for an appointment. I picked up a Wondertime Magazine and read this article:

Wondertime Article. You should read it. But if you don't have time right now, what I got out of it was that sometimes kids need a little inspiration. We shuffle them off to "go, play!" but don't offer them an idea most of the time. The author decided, one evening as she was picking up the toys strewn from one end of her house to the other, that she'd make a parade of toys across the living room floor. The next morning, her kids were so excited, they spent a good part of the day, playing wholeheartedly.

I tucked that idea away in my mind, and I've used it many a time. But it is really one of the ideas that inspired Turkey Pie. A little bit of effort goes a long way.

Some posts on Turkey Pie will feature play scenarios, where you can set up something and see where it goes. Some ideas will have the added bonus of being part of the chores you might have to do. Some things will cost money. Some will endorse a product. And some will seem downright wacky or boring to you. The whole idea is not "here are magic things that will make your kids leave you alone so you can read blogs all day." The idea is, let's have fun together. Maybe my idea will take a different turn at your house. Maybe you've done what I'm posting about a thousand times before. Surely, you will think, "I am far more creative than Jill is. I should have written this blog myself!" I hope you'll feel welcome to share your comments, suggestions and ideas with me. You can e-mail me at turkeypie10@yahoo.com . After all, we're all in this together. Let's get this summer started!

1 comment:

  1. Love it! Love the name! And of course I love you and the girls!

    Table/blanket houses/forts for a post idea? You know it turned into wrestlemania at my house, but we will try again!

    ReplyDelete